Saturday, February 14, 2009

Red Burgundy Onions

I planted some onions today, 'Red Burgundy' from seed. I usually put out sets, but have often tried to grow the wrong onion type. Thanks to Rob W., I now understand long, short, and neutral day types, and I realize that I was probably planting long day onions in the South, which is fine if you want 'green onions' but not if you want bulb onions. Last November I planted a bunch of onion sets that were simply labeled 'yellow onions'(from Bonnie's, I think). If they were indeed short day onions, they should show some bulb growth now, I think, since we have 11 hours of daylight, but they really aren't too much larger now than when I planted them, if at all. So today, while at Home Deposit spending our tax refund on a new water heater(note that I had to fight not to say hot water heater) I also grabbed some zinna, German chamomile, garlic chives and onion seeds. Yeehaw!
I planted the onions in a flat-intensively spaced about an inch apart, so that I would be able to easily prick them out and transplant them to the ground later. I planted my Yukon Gold potatoes today, and I'll put these onions in the ground right next to the potatoes when they are ready. If I have excess, then I will interplant my strawberries, which are due to arrive next week. The third spot will be the lettuce bed. Onions are good companions to potatoes, strawberries, and lettuce.
I'm really excited about getting strawberries again. It has been a few years since I grew them. I had a nice tiered bed made of rocks and stone, but it was outside the garden fence and I could not protect the berries from the critters. Lesson learned. This time last year, I built another tiered bed, this time with metal siding like my other monster beds INSIDE the garden fence. It should hold 25 strawberry plants (~6x4) so I got 12 Tristar and 12 Tribune plants from Stark Bros. I'll be happy if I get enough to make 6 or 7 pints of jam and some strawberry shortcake!

The garden is coming along, and it really helps that DH is getting involved this year. I am rather excited about the kitchen herb garden bed he is creating. I'll write more about that later as plans finalize. When I was in town yesterday, people at H&R Block were making jokes at Obama's expense, rhetorically asking if he would pay their taxes, and then later, at the local feed and seed store, more disgust was heard when people were looking at seeds and planning their larger than usual gardens. The fact that I was there on the day that the ever so unpopular economic stimulus/porkbarrel bill was passed was probably the determining factor, but I can say that people are angry with the leadership in this country, and that anger bridges party lines, and government/corporate lines. There is definitely a general unrest brewing in the working class. My guess is that the media will absorb the brunt of this anger, but only time will tell how this plays out. Of course, rural Georgia is Republican, and I realize that I am only seeing a local phenomenon, but I can't help but think that this anger is a seed that will grow if Obama doesn't turn things around quickly, and quite frankly, he is off to a rough start with all his Clinton era and or failed appointments and nominations and this stimulus bill. What happened to CHANGE?

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Nice blog Bev. Good luck with the onion seeds--I've never been able to get past green onion size from seed.

Are those everbearing strawberry plants? I always find it so hard to pinch off all the flowers from the June bearing ones the first year.

I don't know what to think about our current political situation. I'm worried for our nation's future.

Post a Comment