Friday, February 20, 2009

Strawberries and More

The strawberries have arrived and finally I will be able to plant the strawberry bed! I built the tiered 'monster bed' specifically for strawberries in 2007. I've spent the last year and a half loading the bed with manure, compost, and waste hay. Finally, it is time to plant! This year, I bought 'Tribute' and 'Tristar' both medium sized day neutral berry plants from Stark Brothers. Day neutrals don't produce many runners, so they should be fine in the bed. Right now, it is a chilly 38 degrees, but it should be 45 or so in a couple of hours, so I will plant the strawberries this afternoon. Looking at the 15 day forecast, we have quite a few hard frosts coming, so I will cover my broccoli and cauliflower with a row cover just to be safe. The last couple of nights the temp has dropped to 25, andthe broccoli has been fine so far, but I just don't want to push my luck.
Also on the agenda for today is thinning and transplanting some of my second round cole crops, which are still in 9 pack cells. I feel like I am in no man's land on these-they don't have enough leaves and size to be placed directly in the garden, but they are too thick to continue to develop in the cells. If I had a compost or weak manure tea, I'd leave them in the cells for another week or so, but I don't have that so it looks like I will have to transplant them twice, once now to a larger container and again in a few weeks to the garden beds. I may, as an experiment, take the thinned plants, which will only have 2 true leaves, and put them straight into the garden bed. It might be a good test for how warm and fuzzy those beds really are.
Of the sown seeds, I've got lettuce coming up, a few tomatoes, basil, borage, and marigolds. I am starting to worry about the peppers. I may have to redo them. It is hard to keep pepper seed viable for more than one year. It has been two weeks today. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment