How insane is it that we teach our children not to talk to strangers and to guard personal information, yet we tell all about ourselves on sites like Blogger, or social networking sites like MySpace or Facebook, or even email and bulletin board groups? Identity fraud is increasing, and we are making it easier for the bad guys to victimize us. I think we must all have an intense need for that 15 minutes of fame. Some people, like Octomom and Joe the Plumber, just have a worse case of it.
The recent hoopla about privacy and ownership rights of material posted on Facebook have prompted me to downsize my public persona. I am not any more protected by 'deactivating' my account, but there is some comfort that it was the right thing to do. It's probably false security, but I needed to withdraw a bit anyway.
Facebook claims to have reversed it's policy, but still they are holding my information. Deactivation is not the same as a Permanent Delete. If I can log in and have my page just pop back up at will, it was never truly deactivated. Why would they hold onto that information if not to somehow make money from it?
No comments:
Post a Comment