Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Good Science Book

I'm reading a book called _That's the Way the Cookie Crumbles: 62 All-New Commentaries on the Fascinating Chemistry of Everyday Life_ by Dr. Joe Schwarcz. I'm not a doctor of anything, and I have no clout, but if I did, this would be the type of book I would write. I believe that most people simply don't have a good handle on science, and it doesn't matter whether it is physics, biology, or chemistry. I think most people were more interested in the chemistry they had with their lab partner, than actual chemistry. It's a shame because science is so useful. A little scientific knowledge helps solve problems. At any rate, Schwarcz takes the approach that I would take, and makes science interdisciplinary and interesting. The book is part history, part comedy (captures the attention and the imagination of the uninitiated-great for teens)and of course, real science. It is an easy read. He blasts myths and misconceptions in an interesting and humorous way. In the process, the reader is educated and entertained. The book is really a collection of short essays on various topics so even people with ADD will find this book easy to read.

The book serves as a guide to general health, too. From celiac disease to alcoholism to anti-oxidants to Pellagra, it's all there. You can learn fun trivia to amaze your friends...Who invented the process of carbonation for soft drinks? The answer is Jacob Schweppe. Think of him the next time you sip on some ginger ale. Here's a good one for the under 15 crowd: What animal's vomit do humans regularly and heartily consume? The answer is bees. Honey is the regurgitation of bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment