Monday, February 23, 2009
Tomatoes and Peppers and More Tomatoes
Reseeding. It is an acknowledgment of failure. I planted the seeds correctly and kept them at the right temperature and moisture, but the seeds themselves were old. I failed them by not routinely planting the varieties in years past to replenish and renew the seed supply. So today, I pulled all of my pepper and tomato seeds from storage, which were mostly from 2006 and 2007, and planted them en masse in various containers, hoping to get just one plant from, depending on the variety, anywhere from 10 seeds to a 1/4 cup of seeds. I gave a few seed packs to a friend for her to try. I also reseeded the little peat pots with fresh seed from Home Deposit. There is little room for failure this year. I will have to keep reseeding until I get viable plants for the garden. On a positive note, my red burgundy onions have germinated and are 1/4 to 1/2 inch tall. Also, I planted a small plot of radishes today as well. Tomorrow, the carrot bed awaits....
No comments:
Post a Comment