I have no idea of how many times a day I google for information, but it is more than I should admit to, as I am a person of above average intelligence. I'm old enough to remember when calculators became a handheld device, and people warned how it would cripple our brains and make us lazy. Well, it did, and it didn't. I have a calculator within 2 feet of me, do you?(consider cellphones, etc.) Fast forward to Google and googling information..I used it to remember what movie I saw last-how crazy is that? It just seemed to have better odds of success and faster than looking through my memory box ticket stubs, drawers, calendars, etc. The next generation for nerdy people like me is going to be WolframAlpha.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/
You ask a question, it answers...
If we have the knowledge of all of humanity at our fingertips, what is the next step? The next step is probaby wi-fi chips in your brain that allow instant knowledge. Just today I read an article about an implantable GPS chip with optional cyanide that could be released with a few inputs. Track terrorists, child molestors, criminals, but terminate them before they commit crimes.....of course, that would mean that Big Brother is not only watching, but controlling and manipulating the future by taking out people BEFORE they act, akin to Minority Report. But for now, we just have Wolfram at our fingertips.
It is in the Alpha phase of operation, but it seems to still have Beta like problems. A few minutes ago, I got a message that said "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"...lol...
like all great things that are new, it has a fun factor-it's true uses haven't been realized yet.
2 comments:
I remember the first hand held calculator I ever saw. John paid $100 for it (gasoline was 25 cents at the Gulf station and $3 worth would get you a steak knife). That calculator would not only add, subtract, multiply and divide but it would do square roots with the touch of a button!
I have a calculator on this computer, I just click on 'start' and then on calculator.
Are we lazy or just being efficient? If we are making lazy as a way of life then some people who have the drive and energy will come and take over... That's history
Yes, I remember my first, expensive calculator too. Although there is misinformation on the Internet, it is addictive to have this much information 24/7 at one's fingertips. Not to mention all the space it saves from having a set of encyclopedias!
Post a Comment