Friday, May 08, 2009

It's a jungle out there!


I came back from vacation to a flooded garden. Everything is muddy and water is standing around. I don't know how much rain we got, but the creek has apparently been running for the last 4 days and my guess is that we got over 6 inches here (since last Saturday). I have never seen my property so green. We cut the grass on Friday, and now it is over a foot tall and looks like a forgotten field.
This morning, I noticed that my whiskey barrel iris was blooming-but the little pot had fallen over and the flower was half in the water, so I walked over to upright the pot and as I did so, was startled by a frog on the rim just sitting there looking at me. It was right near my hand, and it kind of scared me. (I was barefoot, standing in foot tall yard grass) I jerked back instantly and then realized it was only a frog. I thought, "well, it's a good thing it wasn't a snake-it would have bitten me"...lol...just then, I looked down at my feet in the grass and saw a snake laying at my toes-two inches from my big toe. For a split second, I thought it was a copperhead, then realized it was a red rat snake/corn snake. He was about 2.5-3 feet long, little, but about the right size for a copperhead, so he gave me quite a start. I ran inside and grabbed the camera just in time to snap a picture of him as he crawled away through my little Zen garden. My guess is that he was lying there next to the barrel waiting for the frog to make a wrong move and I startled both of them. It is a jungle out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment