Monday, May 25, 2009

Artichokes

We have tried and learned to like yet another vegetable...artichokes. Since it is rich in potassium and iodine, it should be good for my heart, muscles, and thyroid. I had eaten them years before at my sister's home, so I knew that I liked them, but Skyguy had a restaurant meal that contained artichoke hearts, so now, we are going to try to grow artichokes. As a perennial vegetable that is hardy to about 15-20 degrees, I should be able to grow it here if I place it carefully and protect it when the temps are really low. We do see single digits here, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. So, I bought some Emerald Artichoke seeds at Home Deposit (birthday gift card-couldn't resist it!)and I've been reading about growing them. Living in Georgia most of my life, I've never even seen an artichoke plant, but the pictures online are awesome and I am thinking of planting this in the garden AND in the yard. I read that it is a deer resistant plant, so it will definitely find its place in the yard. Edible landscaping is the way to go! I also had no idea that you could get 18 artichokes from one plant! These suckers are huge! They get 4 feet tall or more and 6 feet across. There were 8 seeds in the packet, so we will see what happens.

Tomorrow night, we will be making a version of Ruby Tuesday's Chicken Bella. It is chicken in a artichoke, portabella mushroom and parmesan sauce with penne pasta. It has a slight cayenne kick.
Here's the recipe:

http://www.grouprecipes.com/sr/12623/chicken-artichoke-amp-parmesan-baked-penne/recipe/

No comments:

Post a Comment