Thursday, July 23, 2009

Normal Day

We have about a 30% chance of rain over the last few days-30% everyday-but alas, not a drop of rain fell here. It is overcast, and and at least not stifling hot. I picked tomatoes and beans this morning, as usual, and came in to wash up, as usual. I'd love to know what it is about garden plants-beans, tomatoes, everything, that makes my arms itch! I either wear long sleeves or have to come in and wash with soap and cold water. It is as if there are microscopic fibers-akin to fiberglass-on the plants. Why me? Oh well, that's the breaks.

Today I've been subjected to the obnoxious sound of machinery. They are thinning pine trees across from me-imagine logging sounds-skidders, saws, trucks coming and going...Right now, the view of that treeline is hidden from the house view due to the leaves still being on the trees. I'm almost afraid to walk down there to see what it really looks like-the view I will have in the winter. I hope he is only thinning and not clear-cutting. Logging you say? In north Georgia? Yup. Logging. It is a major industry in this area, right up there with poultry farming..lol.



I painted the chicken coop the other day-it is a nice green color now. I thought painting the coop was a good idea to give me a chance to see how the color would look in this environment before we bought house paint. I like the color-it blends well with the woods and surroundings-but I'm not sold on how it looks with the roof shingles, which are a tan color. It took 3/4 gallon to paint the coop, and I suppose I will paint the old wellhouse with the remainder. If there is any leftover after that, maybe I will paint an adirondack chair or the mailbox. I've sworn off saving paint cans. No mas.

I was outside with Bingo today when I saw an unusual sight: a dung beetle. I've seen one before so I knew there was a population of them, but this is only the second time I've one in action. In the 90 seconds that it took me to get my camera, the beetle had rolled the ball of dung almost 3 feet across the leaf litter. It was quite amazing, and I wondered how the beetle keeps his sense of direction being upside down and backwards to the direction he was moving the ball.

Bingo is growing like a weed, and he seems to be a lot more loving with the collar on. If you scratch his ears, he is your friend for life. When we were out today, his ears looked very cute inside the collar. I tried to catch it with the camera, but the image at right is as close as I came. He is just too cute.



I also took some shots of my seedlings. The image at right is actually Brussel Sprouts. It is my last try to grow them before I give it up entirely. I have another tray like that of cabbage, and a large 72 pot tray of broccoli. I also have some onions. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Bev: I have been reading some of your blogs. You have your hand, and mind, in lots of things. My wife, step-daughter, her friend and myself were at your place in April for a NWGAA event.

Since you, and my family also, have chosen to live in a rural setting what do you think about the prediction of higher food and energy costs. This morning I was reading a business story and they quoted Jeremy Grantham. He is a well known author and usually is more main stream. He had this to say:

We are very likely to have lower growth rates for quite a few years," he said.

Growth will be impacted not just by write-downs of bad loans and strapped consumers, but by the more lasting and significant reality of a future marred by limited oil, coal, metals food and other essential resources, he said.

"Population growth is on a direct collision course with increasingly scarce resources," Grantham wrote.

"We must prepare ourselves for waves of higher resource prices and periods of shortages unlike we have faced outside of wartime conditions," he said. "Everything within the investment business will be affected, as well as everything outside of the business."

Thanks again for allowing "total strangers" to show up at your house and look at the stars.

David Cannon
Lookout Mtn, GA.

Post a Comment