Thursday, July 09, 2009
Baking Day, part I
Today was Baking Day, and I made a couple of pound cakes, one vanilla and one cream cheese, two dozen squash and almond breakfast muffins, and a couple of pizza crusts. Tomorrow, I'll make more pizza crusts, breadsticks, and maybe some saltines and tortillas. My pizza crusts are like those Boboli crusts you buy in the store, only better. I developed the recipe myself using garlic and herbs. I make the dough in the bread machine, and then roll it out to the pan shape. Sprinkle additional herbs and cheese on it, and you can make breadsticks from the same dough. EASY. I made the cream cheese pound cake in a Bundt pan, and once it cooled, I divided the cake into three sections. Two will be frozen. By dividing the cake, I spread the desserts out over time so that we don't pig out on cake and gain weight. I'm not going to deny myself, because in my opinion, one of the best things about life is good food, but for me, pound cake necessitates moderation, and the easiest way to do that is to divide the cake. I probably should have quartered the cake, but oh well. What was that I was writing the other day about self indulgence? The two pound cakes used a dozen eggs, and I still have a few more dozen to consume. In the next few days, I may try to make an angel food cake and a devil's food cake. Traditionally, they were made together, as the lighter angel food cake uses the egg whites only, and the heavier devil's food cake uses only the yolks. I can use up about 9 eggs making those two cakes, which can also be frozen. As an alternative, I could just make a couple of angel food cakes and cook the yolks for use later in salads or something...yeah, that would be the healthier choice, I think.
No comments:
Post a Comment