Friday, July 10, 2009

The Best Things in Life

The process of training a new puppy can be daunting, but there are a few milestones along the way that let you know you are on the right path. Bingo and I passed one of those milestones today. Not that we have the "come" command conquered, not by a long shot, but we are making progress. It is my belief that dogs think of people as members of their pack. They don't discriminate on looks or the color of one's coat/clothes. Some are born into a ready made pack, and some join packs later in their lives. Of course, in a pack, there is always an alpha male and an alpha female. When that pack includes humans, we should be the alpha animal, but not all humans take their responsibility as alpha seriously. The alpha animal not only provides food, but leads the pack on the hunt. They decide where the pack goes and what the pack will do. Alpha leads the way through doors, they are the first down a path, and the first to face danger. As we all know, having a leader allows the followers to relax, because they aren't the decision makers. Relaxed followers, in this case, puppies, are generally happy if their needs are met. Still, it is up to the pack to train the pup how to behave, what is acceptable and what is not. When the Alpha Bitch yells "come", she expects compliance from her boys.

Luckily, in our pack, Bear is submissive to Skyguy and I, and Bingo is submissive to Bear, for now. Our job is to make sure that Bingo does not bond with Bear more than us. The bond with the Alpha animal should be strongest. It is easy to allow Bear to 'babysit' the pup, but there is a limit to how often that should happen. Skyguy and I have been getting into the fray when the dogs play, just to reinforce the idea in Bingo's head that we are all part of the pack, there is no separation. In doing this, we have seen a huge difference in Bingo's attitude and behavior. He is more affectionate and less 'stand-offish'. Perhaps that change is a natural part of the relationship of trust in our third week of bonding. When I let him out, sometimes I go with him, and sometimes I don't. Sometimes he goes out with Bear, and sometimes he goes out alone. Sometimes I put him on the leash, and sometimes I don't. I've noticed that when we go out sans leash, he generally stays within 25-30 feet of me, closer if I talk to him. Bear does this too, and it lets me know that they are choosing to remain close by. In the last few days, when I call Bingo, I call him the same way..a whistle, a long "Biiiiinnnngggggoooo", and then "Biiinnnggooo C'mon,,, Beeeeaaaar Beeeaar, C'mon." It usually takes a few seconds until they come into sight and run towards the door. They are always together, Bingo following Bear. I've been really rewarding Bingo when he comes through the door, I change my voice pitch to show excitement in seeing him, I run him and love him and sometimes I give him a treat, sometimes not. Today, as I was in the middle of baking, I let Bear and Bingo out together. After 5 minutes or so, I called them, as usual. A minute went by with no dogs in sight, so I called again. Then I see Bingo, running as fast as his little legs would happily go, coming towards the house. He ran all the way home, without Bear's accompaniment, and bounded in the house excited to see me. Of course, he got a treat for that one! I looked out after that and saw Bear walking, no, piddle-poking around near the creek. Bingo chose to come to me instead of hanging out with Bear. That is a milestone. I know now, that he feels as though he is part of our pack, my pack. He has definitely adopted us.

1 comment:

flowerweaver said...

What a great photo of you and Bingo! Sounds like he's going to be a very good dog.

Post a Comment