Monday, July 13, 2009

The impact of drug addiction

This is a rant about all manner of things-mostly drug related- that piss me off. Click away now if you're not interested. Rant mode: ON

Today, we went to Walmart, which I detest, but almost everyone goes there at some time or another. I dislike their business model of putting the Mom and Pop stores out of business by buying second quality goods from countries that are not friendly to the US. Whatever happened to Sam Walton's Made in the USA pledge?? What about their commitment to the environment? Are they more loyal to the Chinese than to the US? So many questions, no answers. But I digress...

I'm in Walmart (did I mention that I'd rather shop elsewhere?) and remember that I need the antihistamine, Zyrtec-D. I walk over, pick up the card, and wait in line at the pharmacy to swap the card for the meds. The clerk, who was older than me and should know manners, was extremely rude and unfriendly. She stated that she could not sell the Zyrtec to me without a driver's license. This stop at Wallyworld was after we had an impromptu picnic, and I had not brought my purse, therefore, no ID. She asks me if I have ever bought drugs from them before and I answered in the negative. She looks at me suspiciously and with disgust, like I was scum of the earth for not having a driver's license on me. She thought she was better than me because I did not have a driver's license on me and she worked at the pharmacy at Wal-mart! Give me a break! Some people, when given positions of authority, really abuse it, and she was an abuser.
So after she refuses to sell me the Zyrtec, one box of Zyrtec I might add, I finally get Skyguy over to produce his license for the witch. She must have entered every bit of information from his license, which really must be illegal-or ought to be illegal, because I think you just have to sign for Zyrtec, not face the Inquisition. I mean, really, I have all my teeth and I am 20 pounds overweight. Do I really look like a freakin' meth-head? GRRRRR!

The picnic....I've been bored with cabin fever since my surgery, so Skyguy decided we should go up to the old mountain campground(only 1.5 miles away) for a picnic-it would be a change of scenery with no chance of getting my foot wet, no hike required to get there, etc. It really was nice up there-very quiet, and the knowledge that not a soul was around within miles, was pretty cool. We ate our cold KFC leftovers, some grapes, and chips in the middle of the woods. We practice Leave No Trace, but obviously others do not. The Forest Service closed this primitive campground a few years ago, tossing the picnic tables into a ravine(good neighbors with tractors pulled them out and now all of us who live here in the valley have a souvenir picnic tables probably made by the CCC in the late 1930's) and capping off the hand pump well. However, the the tent pads are still there, and people still use the campground. Before we left, we walked around and looked at the trash. At first glance, the place looked pretty good, but as you walk around, you see plastic and metal and all kinds of trash that had been overlooked in a cleanup. I honestly do not understand why people can't clean up after themselves. They couldn't just throw their junk away on their own property, so why do they not care about Nature? As soon as my foot is better, I am going to go up there with some trash bags and clean. One reason that the campground closed was that it was used for parties and illegal activities by the locals. It was also the local "lover's lane", for everyone, but right before they closed it, there was a lot of homosexual meetups out there. I personally could not care less what people do in their private lives. My only complaint about the activities that took place at the campground was that it increased traffic on the road and people were dying as they drove out drunk. At any rate, my anger was over the apathy that people show towards Nature and natural areas. With government cutbacks, who do they think will clean up their messes? GRRRRR!

Why is it that one or two idiots can mess things up for everyone? We have warning labels on things because some idiot had no common sense. We have our privacy violated because some dope head couldn't put his joint down long enough to go to college and become a real chemist. Oh no, they would rather make drugs in their car, or in their apartment and endanger the lives of innocent kids next door, or anyone else within the blast zone. They are too interested in partying with their weed or meth to pick up the beer bottles or bungee cords or tiki lights or condoms or bottle caps or whatever. Because of this, there's a whole generation of people who don't know what real freedom is. The really sad thing is that people who are old enough to remember freedom, like the Walmart pharmacy tech, now are apathetic and don't care about anything, as long as she's getting a paycheck every week. Everyone is so taxed and beaten down, that people are becoming thoughtless drones who only know one path. The crooks and bad guys are never affected as they don't play by the rules. The only ones inconvenienced are the law abiding citizens, those that still care about freedom and nature and the right thing to do in this world. GRRRR!

Rant mode: OFF

P.S. I wrote this while on prescription pain meds. I overdid it a bit on the walking today and now my foot is swollen. In keeping with the Title and Subject matter of the post, I thought it only fair to inform you of my hypocrisy. Hypocritical or not, I think I have a point.

No comments:

Post a Comment