Thought I would show some pictures of Skyguy's herb bed, and my strawberry bed from

the start to 'almost finished'. First, the herbs...it will take several years for the beds to really become established, but they are coming along. This past week we pulled up the rocks in the path and put weedblock down. We have put sand in some places, but we need more sand. Once the sand fills in the gaps below the rocks and somewhat locks them in place, we will sweep a mortar mix over the path and wet it down to hold the rocks in place. I envision that happening later in the summer. This has been Skyguy's idea and pet project, but I've been doing most of the weeding and watering. Still, I think it was a great idea, and I really like the atmosphere it imparts to that side of the house. Everyone who comes up to the house raves about it. As we see what herbs we want, we will either sow or transplant, adding to our little culinary herb garden. Since much of

what we want are hard to find perennials, I have planted a few beans and other annuals in the beds, just so the space is not wasted. The nasturtiums are starting to bloom and they are really pretty. We put up this little reed fence around the herb bed mainly so that I could let the chickens out. I've started allowing the birds to free range in the afternoon as long as I am home. I want to avoid those dusk and dawn predation hours, and this allows the birds out to find some shade, too. Of course, a chicken can just fly over the fence, but I am hoping that with s

o many other places to explore, that they will stay out of there. I hope I will hear them flying over the fence and will be able to get them out before too much damage is done. So far, it is working.
At last, the strawberries.... This is the first year for these berries,

and I really can not wait until I have some fresh strawberries, some pound cake, and freshly whipped cream smothering it all! I actually made the strawberry bed in 2007, I believe it was, and I spent last year filling it up with waste hay, compost, and the last of my rabbit poop pile. Everything composted nicely, and there are as many earthworms in the top tier as the bottom. If you notice, the wooden posts are taller than the top tier of the bed. This will allow me to cover the entire 6x8 bed with netting to keep the birds away. In addition, I have two whirlygigs(you can only see the posts

in the picture, but they both are of ducks flying-wings spin) that will hopefully keep the birds at bay until I need to net them. Anyway, I bought 25 Tristar and 25 Tribute. The Tristar are in the top tier and on the Southern side of the lower tier. The three remaining sides are Tribute. I believe that the Tribute plants are doing better and are more prolific than the Tristar. These are day-neutral berries, so they should produce for a while. I planted them on February 20th, and have been picking off the flowers until this week. Doing that is supposed to encourage runners production instead of fruit production.

It allows the plant to develop more roots as well before fruiting. I bought them as crowns, the had no leaves, and for a while they were so small that you could not see them in the mulch. Now, they have spread everywhere! I tried to peg the runners in open spaces. Now that it is June, I have stopped picking off the blooms, and I will give me a light dose of organic fertilizer(mostly kelp) so I will hopefully get some strawberries soon!
Speaking of berries, I noticed that the blackberry bushes are

loaded this year. We have a few bushes in the island next to where we park and I think there might be enough on those few bushes for a pie. They are looking good!
1 comment:
Mmmmm, strawberry shortcake sounds yummy! So does the berry pie. I love how your strawberries look! What a great idea to tier them like that.
My strawberries are coming right along. This year they are producing many berries, though I don't have as many plants as you do, dang it! :-)
Post a Comment