Today, we ran errands in town and worked in the garden and yard. Skyguy mowed around the Paulownia trees which are, for the most part, dead. I have about 8 still alive and it is quite frustrating and disappointing. However, the black walnuts I planted are still alive for the most part, so at least the tree planting wasn't a total failure. Skyguy wants to order more Paulownias and I think we should plant them in the Fall this time. It is hard to nurse herbaceous tree saplings through summer heat. I wish I could find someone to trade with-black walnuts for white or green ash trees.
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Struck out
I went fishing again yesterday and struck out totally. I first went to a nearby lake at the Girl Scout camp. There was an algal bloom on the lake and it make fishing almost impossible, so I left after just a few minutes. Then, I stopped and tried my luck at a couple of local stream, including an area that we call the swamp. I could see bass, but they could see me, too, and were skittish. Finally, I decided to head to the river. Surely, I thought, I'd see action there. Nope. To my surprise, there was a lot of trash and debris piled up under the bridge. Two-thirds of the river width was blocked and there was only one side of the bridge where the current flowed unobstructed. Unfortunately for me, that section was on the other side of the river, and the only way to reach it was to walk and or climb the debris pile(a good 10 feet tall and 75 feet across), and that would be super dangerous if not suicidal, so I just settled to fish in a small area of the river about the size of a swimming pool. There was the lovely smell of a dead raccoon and the rotting debris of the all the crap in the debris jam under the bridge. I was just about to leave when I saw a large catfish practically at my feet. I could have reached down and grabbed him, I think, had I not been too scared. You gotta realize that I was under the bridge of a state highway. It was really isolated with no houses around. Had I slipped and fell in or something, or got hurt or pinned in the debris, I might have a long wait for help. Mr. Catfish was about 15-18" long and would have made a nice meal, though. I tried to get him to bite my crickets, but of course, he was interested in other stuff. He kept hanging around and I was wishing I had a spear or a stick of some sort to try to catch him. No luck.
Today, we ran errands in town and worked in the garden and yard. Skyguy mowed around the Paulownia trees which are, for the most part, dead. I have about 8 still alive and it is quite frustrating and disappointing. However, the black walnuts I planted are still alive for the most part, so at least the tree planting wasn't a total failure. Skyguy wants to order more Paulownias and I think we should plant them in the Fall this time. It is hard to nurse herbaceous tree saplings through summer heat. I wish I could find someone to trade with-black walnuts for white or green ash trees.
Today, we ran errands in town and worked in the garden and yard. Skyguy mowed around the Paulownia trees which are, for the most part, dead. I have about 8 still alive and it is quite frustrating and disappointing. However, the black walnuts I planted are still alive for the most part, so at least the tree planting wasn't a total failure. Skyguy wants to order more Paulownias and I think we should plant them in the Fall this time. It is hard to nurse herbaceous tree saplings through summer heat. I wish I could find someone to trade with-black walnuts for white or green ash trees.
No comments:
Post a Comment