Saturday, March 07, 2009

Wonder Woman


As I snuggled up under a warm quilt on the sofa a few nights ago, I saw a commercial that advertised the new animated Wonder Woman movie. She has always been my favorite superhero-maybe because I have been called an Amazon before and Lynda Carter made it cool to be almost six feet tall and wear contacts, a new thing in those days. In the movie promo, Wonder Woman was in her costume, if you can call it that. Seeing all of that exposed skin made me shiver (I was already cold, but it felt like empathy), and I wondered-pun intended, doesn't Wonder Woman ever get cold? Thinking back, I don't recall any episodes where she had to go to the Arctic like Superman did, but with as little as she wears, she would be hypothermic anywhere, I would think.

I'm pretty sure that most comic book superheroes are created and drawn by men, so that is the obvious explanation for why Wonder Woman AKA Diana Prince wears so little after she removes her glasses. Every male superhero I can think of wears tights or some kind of leggings: Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Space Ghost, the Green Lantern and even Aquaman, a swimmer, are all covered up. There are no bare chests or hairy legs, why, even Underdog and Mighty Mouse are fully-clothed. Men, dogs, and mice in tights, and women in almost nothing by comparison. Men in tights...that must be why they are wearing masks.
It is an insane world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went and saw The Watchmen last Friday night. My first experience with "The Watchmen".
It was not your typical comic book super hero movie.
I was unsure of it at first but by the end I knew what was happening/had happened and was a fan.
You are probably right about men doing the super heroes. I guess if you want a super hero from a female viewpoint you'll have to draw her yourself.

Post a Comment