Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Germination report


So far, none of my curcubits have germinated, but it has only been less than a week. I do have a few lavender seedlings, so that's exciting. I never have good luck with lavender. I'm amazed that I have *any* seedlings. I do have a bazillion marigold and basil seedlings, however. It is all good!
Today I took an inventory of the seedling peppers and tomatoes---- germinated as of today:

Red Brandywine 3
Caspian Pink 3
Serrano Pepper 1
Anaheim Pepper 4
Super Sweet 100 3
Opalka Paste 3
Roma Paste 6
Sausage Paste 3
A) Abraham Lincoln(2002), Husky Red(2002), Early Big Red(2001) 13
B) Caspian Pink(2006), Cherokee Purple(2002), Heirloom White(1998) 8

A and B are small flats sown with older seed packets. I did not expect anything to germinate due to the age of the seed. Caspian Pink was the 'newest' variety, from 2006.

Skyguy and my best friend both thought I should throw the seeds away, but I can never bring myself to do it. There is always that what if factor. All I need is one good tomato and I will have more seed...what if just one of these seeds is still viable. Seeing the seedlings emerge from the soilless mix has been very vindicating for me. In addition, I'm glad to see so many paste type tomatoes growing. If I can bring them to fruiting, I should be able to put up a lot of tomato paste, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, salsa, etc. When I last grew these slicing tomatoes, I mostly grew them for the juice, salsa, or to give away. Now that I like and actually crave tomatoes, I can't wait to try all the varieties with my new taste buds.

1 comment:

Melody said...

Way to go! I love it when older seeds germinate. I don't expect them to, so when they do it seems like a surprise gift.

Post a Comment