Yesterday Skyguy built this simple compost tumbler from a drum. It is a prototype made from scrap, and it is sitting on a small steel table so that I'll be able to empty it straight into the wheelbarrow. The table height also makes for easier turning. The barrel is a bit over 2/3rds full of leaves, kitchen waste(coffee grounds, eggshells, vegetable trimmings etc.), and paper. We added a bit of water through the hole on the axis. Inside the drum are several 6 inch long threaded rod 'spikes' that will help mix everything up. We had to remove the drum's seal, so all the excess water slowly leaks out, but it is perfect for adding moisture to the compost without getting it too soggy. For now the roller wheels are plywood-it is a prototype after all, but the next one will have solid wood rollers from scrap pressure treated decking. We weren't sure if the design could be this simple or not. It is easy enough to spin the drum, and for now the drum is staying on the rollers. I should have taken a 'before' picture of the compost as I mark the time in the barrel. I'm hoping for soil within 4-5 weeks, but that may be wishful thinking.
Monday, March 23, 2009
Compost Tumbler
Yesterday Skyguy built this simple compost tumbler from a drum. It is a prototype made from scrap, and it is sitting on a small steel table so that I'll be able to empty it straight into the wheelbarrow. The table height also makes for easier turning. The barrel is a bit over 2/3rds full of leaves, kitchen waste(coffee grounds, eggshells, vegetable trimmings etc.), and paper. We added a bit of water through the hole on the axis. Inside the drum are several 6 inch long threaded rod 'spikes' that will help mix everything up. We had to remove the drum's seal, so all the excess water slowly leaks out, but it is perfect for adding moisture to the compost without getting it too soggy. For now the roller wheels are plywood-it is a prototype after all, but the next one will have solid wood rollers from scrap pressure treated decking. We weren't sure if the design could be this simple or not. It is easy enough to spin the drum, and for now the drum is staying on the rollers. I should have taken a 'before' picture of the compost as I mark the time in the barrel. I'm hoping for soil within 4-5 weeks, but that may be wishful thinking.
1 comment:
Hey Bev, have you & SkyGuy ever priced tumblers? We do it the old-fashioned divided piles w/ pallets way, but perhaps this could be a new side business--undercut the competition.
Post a Comment