Yesterday I tilled the entire garden, laid out the plan, marked the ground, and planted sweet corn in blocks. If you look closely at the picture, you can see the blocks on the right side of the image. The footpaths between the 5x5 blocks are marked with flags. I worked all day. Today, Skyguy and I got up early, took a few extra anti-inflammatories for sciatica and again worked in the garden all day. I went back over some areas with the tiller while he lashed together some bamboo frames for pole beans. He wanted to try various designs, so we have A-frames and we are experimenting with a new design. Poles are secured to the ground with rebar 'staples' and the sting will be tied around the ground pole and the ridge pole. While he erected the bean trellises, I erected the tomato fences and laid out the tomato cages. I also made one bean tee pee, mostly for argument's sake as that is my preferred way of growing pole beans. W
Other gardening type activities we did today include plant rice (Wells) in large plastic tub of stagnant water, create a few hills for the cucumbers that I will transplant after the rains, cut a grocery bag full of Chinese mustard and prep the leaves for dinner tomorrow, harvested several heads of Michihili cabbage and a few florets of broccoli for dinner, mow the front acre of the pasture in preparation for the arrival of the Paulownia trees that are due any day now, weedeat the high grassy areas of the yard and garden and barn areas, cultivated around plants in areas too small for the tiller/cultivator, and probably more stuff that I have forgotten about. Oh yeah, and I took a few pictures this evening, just to show the 'guts', the skeleton, of the garden if you will. In a few months, it will be like a jungle, a maze, but now, everything is barren looking. I'm glad the day is over. I feel like we have passed a major milestone now.
Tomorrow it is supposed to rain so I won't be doing any planting. I still need to transplant my tomatoes, peppers, squashes and cukes to the garden. I suppose I will spend some time tomorrow figuring out how I will fit all the tomatoes inside the fence. I may need to till/cultivate near the moat fence-remove the grass and weeds, to make room for all the tomatoes and peppers. If worst comes to worst, I can use the area of the chicken moat.
I'm really thankful for Skyguy's help in the garden this year. I haven't had a garden this nice since 2000 before I contracted RA and when the kids were home to help. It is actually rather exciting to think of the possibilities. It is great to have a partner in crime.
No comments:
Post a Comment