Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Movie Reviews

We don't rent movies much anymore, but recently we've rented a few. We are binge movie-watchers, we'll rent a few, take them back, rent a few more, take them back, maybe rent a few more and take them back, and then we may not rent movies for 6 months to a year. We almost never go to a theater to watch a movie, and I can't even remember the last one I saw. I am always amazed that there are some really good movies out there that have gotten no airplay, no hype, yet stupid time-wasters are promoted out the wazoo.
I'm always the last to see a movie, the last to start watching a popular TV show, or the last one to hear a new artist's recording, but just in case there is someone out there who still hasn't seen these flicks, here are my comments and opinions about the films I saw, which were Religulous, Marley and Me, W., 7 Pounds, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and Swing Vote. I haven't decided whether to rent more when I take these back. I can't think of anything that I want to see, but then, I won't know until I get there and look at the titles.

Marley and Me was a cutesy movie about the joys of owning a dog. This is a good kid flick, a good date movie, or just an all round easy to watch family film. I don't recall anything objectionable or offensive. It wasn't overly funny, overly exciting, overly well-written, or overly dramatic, but it was above average in the Hollywood crop of films.

The Day the Earth Stood Still was a disappointment. I LOVE Keanu Reeves (and Kathy Bates), and I love science fiction. I liked the original movie better. This version just did not capture my imagination. There were a lot of loose ends that should have been tied up. There was no real drama, very little action, old science(non-imaginative nanobots-woohoo) and the chemistry between the scientist and Klaatu could have been better. I did enjoy watching Jaden Smith, the young son of Will Smith. He'll be a huge star like his dad, just watch.

Religulous was the funniest movie I have seen in several years. I love Bill Maher's comedy and I put him in the category of genius along with George Carlin. I just love the way they think about everyday things. However, it is not a movie that I could recommend to everyone. I think the more religious you are the more likely you will be offended by this movie and think it blasphemous. However, if you think you can laugh at yourself for believing in talking snakes and man-eating fish, this is a really funny movie. I love the way they edited Hollywood movies together with the music when they are talking about certain parts of the Bible. I think he should make a sequel that covers Hindu, Buddhism, and maybe Shinto or something. (This one covers Christianity, Judaism, and Islam)

W. was better than I expected, but it was still boring. I really expected Oliver Stone to take some nasty shots at Bush, but I actually think he did W. a favor with this movie by making him seem human. I don't know how accurate the movie portrays Bush, but one thing stood out to me. We all know that Bush is a born again Christian and friend of the so-called religious right. In the movie, I almost got the impression that perhaps Bush used religion to win votes. I mean I'm sure the guy is religious, but I question his personal dedication. The movie left me thinking there may be more hype than substance to his faith. The star of this movie was not Brolin as Bush, it is Richard Dreyfuss as Cheney, followed by James Cromwell as H.W. Bush.

Seven pounds. Whoa. If you like drama and movies that make you think, watch this one. If you are looking for action, comedy, or a family flick, skip it. I loved this movie and I do not understand why I had never heard of it before walking into the video store. I am really becoming a fan of Will Smith. I like his choice of scripts. He has a real talent for acting and making a character believable and real. The movie unfolds a bit slowly, but the gist is that Smith has a list of people that he is 'auditing'-trying to determine if they are good people or not, because he intends to kill himself and donate his organs to those people. Believe it or not, this is a love story, a tragic love story. You know what is going to happen and yet you are still transfixed to the screen. This movie has great acting, a great concept, and a great script.

Swing Vote was another rather cute film, but it was also sad. I was bothered by the lack of parenting skills in this film, mostly because I know that the little girl represents thousands of real life children who are just in that very situation. The movie's premise is a bit silly, but it is Hollywood and this movie is typical fare. I was actually surprised to see Kevin Costner in this role-I suppose the recession is hitting everyone. I did not have great expectations for this film and it did not surprise me. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I'll call it 'filler'.

The best movie of the bunch was Seven Pounds, followed by Religulous and then Marley and Me. That's my opinion, but then again, I like dramas first and foremost, then action movies, then comedies. My tastes are usually opposite of most people.

No comments:

Post a Comment