I went swimming a few weeks ago, and know exactly when water entered my ear. I felt it and knew immediately, from past experiences, that it would mean trouble if I couldn't get it out. Of course, I came home and doused vinegar in my ear, and thought it would be okay. Last week, my ear started hurting, and I recognized the problem as otitis externa, i.e. an external ear infection. I've had them plenty of times before, about half of the time it starts with allergies, not water, but what happens is that bacteria thrive on the extra moisture in the ear, and I think some people, and some ears, just have a susceptibility to becoming infected. My left ear is almost always the one that gets infected. I hate swimmer's ear.
So for the last few days, I've been trying all sorts of home remedies, as usual. Olive oil is usually what brings relief, but since I've made some infused oils and elixirs this week, I thought I would experiment to see what I could concoct that might help. I read that mullein flowers can be used to infuse an oil, and then I read that the leaves would also work to soothe an earache. I had leaves, but no flowers. So in a small glass, I crushed some dried mullein, about a tablespoon full, and sprinkled a bit of garlic powder on it. I added olive oil, heated it, stirred it, and then coated the inside of my ear with it. Within a few minutes, I got relief, more than just relief from the oil alone. I inserted a cotton ball and went to bed. This morning, I have no pain whatsoever from the infection. My jaw is not sore or swollen; I can touch and press on any part of my ear without pain. The key ingredient is either the mullein or the garlic, and my bet is on the mullein, because it has astringent properties and soothing properties. The garlic may have killed the bacteria, but the mullein probably dried up the fluids that caused the swelling and pain.
I just wanted to share another of my WOW moments with you.
1 comment:
I get swimmers ear, too. My left ear seems very prone to it. I have also used the mullein garlic oil for it and can report the same good results!
Post a Comment